Tuesday, September 29, 2015

African American Perspective on STEM and Medicine

Growing up I always knew that I wanted to be some kind of scientist. As a child I always experimented with all kinds of stuff. That initial spark never wavered. I was also influenced by the character Bill Cosby created in Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable of the "Cosby Show". This character showed that an African American could be anything we put our mind to. Dr. Ben Carson's book entitled "Gifted Hands" was pivotal in my decision to go into the medical field.

I digress because this entry is not about my road to my career choice, but more so a perspective on the African American role in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics). The role is so diverse and career tracks are vast!

The face of the African American in these fields signifies the diversity in it. A lot of organizations are geared towards promoting these careers to our younger generations. I was personally introduced to STEM in middle school through a program called SECME( Southeastern Consortium for Minorities in Engineering).  The pipeline from that program led a lot of my fellow peers to careers in Engineering.

There is a need for more doctors, scientists, mathematicians, and engineers of the African American persuasion. I write this not to talk down on any other demographic. However, I want to present a different dynamic to our community because I am an African American male. There is more to career choices than being just an athlete or entertainer.

I always have loved science and always will love it! From a self professed nerd research your options in STEM and Medicine....you won't regret it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment